Why Use the “Use Facebook as Page” Option

Update July 2, 2012: After over a year, I’m sorry to say I am disabling comments on this post. I will also no longer update this post to reflect the current state of Facebook. I leave it here for the historical record.

A lot has happened on Facebook pages since I posted it… too much for me to keep track of. Clearly, Facebook has a number of issues they need to work out. While I have valued the chance to work with so many of you to help you out with your pages, I can’t keep up. I don’t work for Facebook and some problems are beyond me to solve. In almost all cases, it seems to be a bug in Facebook.

If you have a problem, the first thing I would do is make sure you are an admin for the page you are having trouble with. Go to https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/pages and look for the page in question. If it is there, go to https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=164405897002583 to report the bug. They made it available, so hold them to account for the problems they are causing. And the more bug reports they receive, the more likely they are to be able to solve it.

I wish all of you the best of luck in resolving your problems. I still believe that Facebook Pages have made great strides since they were released and are very powerful tools to communicate with your stakeholders.

Facebook has finally rolled out its new Pages.

While a lot has been said about the new layout or the “Everyone” filter, the “Use Facebook as Page” setting caught my attention. This feature would allow a page administrator to interact with Facebook as that page, not their profile.

Opportunity for Outreach

For those who administer Facebook pages for organizations, this feature has great appeal. While interacting on a page with its fans, you and other administrators appear as that page, not your profile. But any interactions beyond that page must be done with your name and face.

For small businesses where you and your organization are one and the same, this isn’t a problem. But if you keep your work and personal lives separate (like me) and/or don’t want to be seen as a spokesperson for your organization (leading to friend requests from people you don’t know or being held accountable for what your organization does), you were stuck.

Being able to use the page’s name and icon beyond your page presented a great opportunity to interact with and engage others.

What New Facebook as Pages Can’t Do

Unfortunately, “Use Facebook as Page” is more limited than I’d hoped. You can’t interact with someone’s profile—no likes or comments. And you can’t see Groups when using Facebook as your page.

The changes are understandable. Facebook has always been about people. Allowing a page the same options as a person could easily lead to a page spamming someone’s Wall or raiding Groups to promote their products.

But it still does allow you to do some cool things.

What New Facebook Pages Can Do

Using Facebook as a page allows you to interact with other pages as your page. You can leave a comment or like an item on behalf of your page. So if your company is being discussed on another page, you can be a part of the discussion without exposing your Facebook profile to the flames of attackers. (But that also means having a monitoring strategy in place.)

It can also allow linked brands or products to cross-promote. If someone from the UK posts a question or comment on the Wall for the Canadian version of a product, the UK page can respond right on the Canadian page’s Wall. Though the Canadian page could try to answer the question or refer the user to the UK page, providing an authoritative answer where the user is presents a better user experience.

Also, pages now allow you to highlight page owners. For those small organizations that want to tie themselves with their owner, the owner’s Facebook profile can appear in this section, even if others maintain the page.

Somewhat surprisingly, a page can also interact with Events. As your page, you can create a new event, indicate attendance and leave comments. A savvy move, this new options recognizes that companies host events and should be able to interact with attendees. So someone looking for directions can be handled by someone who knows the area well. Issues around costs and fees would be dealt with by whoever is handling logistics. A question about when the event starts would be covered by whomever is setting the agenda. But rather than several faces appearing to answer these question, it would all appear to come from the organization, adding a level of credibility.

So Now What?

While this new feature presents some opportunities, a challenge could be keeping it all straight. A page is seen as a single persona, but there may be a large team—or several teams—behind it. If an events coordinator comments on a post for an Event, and then someone posts a question about that comment on the page’s Wall, which is maintained by another team, there could be a scramble to find the right person to provide the answer.

And, this also opens up the debate about using a human face and name to interact in the social space, or a brand name and logo. When it comes to Facebook, though, I don’t want to get my profile mixed up with my job, especially if I switch jobs.

And, like we saw on Twitter, how long will it be before Coke or Pepsi posts on the other’s wall?

Advertisements

158 Responses to “Why Use the “Use Facebook as Page” Option”

1. 1 Lil' Bugger February 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Do you happen to know if this change is reversible? I have been tempted many times to morph into my biz persona to comment here and there, but am afraid I would be stuck with that. Am I able to “not use Facebook as” and return to my normal human page? Thanks for researching this for us…you’ve answered many questions I couldn’t find answers to elsewhere.

2. 2 Matt Moore February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yes, you can switch back. Once you start to use Facebook as a Page, go to Account (top right) and in the drop down menu that appears will first be the page you are using, but your human page will be right below it with your profile pick, your name and “Switch back to” your name. Click that and you are back to being you.

• 3 Calla Davy December 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hi Matt-I do not see the use facebook as page option nor do I see an Account tab, on my profile there is only my name and the Home. When I click on the dropdown menu under the down arrow there is no option here either

• 4 Matt Moore December 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Calla – Above, I was talking about when already using FB as the page, not with a personal profile. And, that was in February so stuff has changed since then.

If you do not see the option “Use Facebook as:” under the downward arrow at the top right (to the right of “Home”), then you are (bugs not withstanding) not the Admin of any pages.

• 5 Dixsita February 2, 2012 at 2:04 am

hi,… it only shows me the page that I am using facebook as , and that page is no more active, hence I am not being able to switch… what should I do!!

• 6 Matt Moore February 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Using FB as a page is limited. You can only see & interact with others pages and events. If you page is no longer active, that’s probably why you can’t do anything.

• 7 Josie April 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hello Matt, I am having trouble removing that page out of my “USE FB AS” I go into the drop arrow and it shows the page than account Settings. In account settings I only see my human page with no over links. How can I remove it from my human page?

• 8 Matt Moore April 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hi Josie – I am not sure what you’re asking. Do you *not* want a page you admin to show up in the Use Facebook As list? If so, I don’t think you can do that without removing yourself as an admin for that page.

3. 9 Steve March 2, 2011 at 1:36 am

Hey, thanks for the insight. I saw that option and didn’t have any idea what would happen if I clicked it. So, with caution as my guide, I did what I usually do… a search. What did we ever do without Google before? Anyway, your post was very helpful and confirmed my suspicion that it’s best, in my case anyway, to keep a page separate from my personal FB profile. Peace

4. 11 JoreJj Z. Elprehzleinn March 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I see that on my page it lists things I like. And I see that seems different than things I like on my personal page. But I am not sure how that happened.

How do I like something from my page? Do I need to use facebook as my page as you write about here?

I am wondering since I must have got the ones I like on my facebook page somehow but I don’t recall every “using facebook as page”.

• 12 Matt Moore March 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

There are two ways this could happen.

First, on a page you can click “Add to My Page’s Favorites” (if you are a page admin), which will allow you to add that page to the Likes on one of the pages you admin.

Now, with this new option, you can browse Facebook as your page and “Like” it, as you would with your profile. But instead of the like showing up in your profile, it shows up in your page’s Likes.

Hope that helps.

5. 13 Melissa Franke March 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm

If I switch to Use Facebook as Page will I lose posts or likes? Is it possible to keep the friends from the Profile page and the Likes from the Ad page?

Thank you!

• 14 Matt Moore March 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm

No. The change is not permanent. You switch over to use Facebook as your page, so Likes and comment show up as coming from your page (not your personal profile), and then you switch back to your profile.

Think of it like going to work. At work, you dress and answer the phone differently than during your personal time. But, you before and after you leave the office.

6. 16 John Delaney March 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I run a weekly event & have over 4,000 facebook friends on that personal account plus over 2,000 Fans on my page if I switch to Page mode will I still be able to invite the personal friend list to events & secondly does the new Page version allow me to invite fans to events?

Many Thanks

• 17 Matt Moore March 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

In page mode, you can create events, but it does not look like you can send invites — Facebook still wants person-to-person contact. But, the event will show up in your page’s stream and you can interact with attendees as the page.

Also, as the page you cannot invite your friends, but make personal profile and Admin and you can invite friends that way.

7. 18 rash April 18, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m having problems with my page.I can’t switch to my page – it just goes to a blank page. AND the most frustrating part is that there’s no email even to report the fault to facebook!!!so any idea to fix ?

• 19 Matt Moore April 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Sorry, Rash. Haven’t encountered this problem. But a quick Google search turned up some issues that made it look like it might be an HTTP/HTTPS issue. At the very least, you’re not alone.

Keep an eye on Facebook Help to see if a solution is found.

• 20 josh July 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

Matt….I am having this same issue. this seems to be happening to a lot of people and if you spend some time on this topic it would be quite helpful to many.

8. 21 Allison Macleod April 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for your helpful posts. One thing I am not quite clear about: If I post status updates on my page, will all of my friends from my personal account see them on their news feed?

• 22 Matt Moore April 28, 2011 at 8:55 am

If you update the page’s status, people who Like the page will see the update, but not your friends (unless they are fans). In other words, your personal profile and Page are two different entities. This is important since several people can be an Admin of a page.

9. 23 Marla Sanderson May 27, 2011 at 9:53 am

Thank you, Matt. You have helped clear up some things I haven’t found answers to anywhere.

Further to the question asked by Allison, I am wondering what happens if I Use Facebook As Page and make a post from my profile. Will all my friends see it? Will it look like it came from my page? Or will it look like it came from me personally?

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to move friends over to my page or at least assure they will receive postings from my page.

• 24 Matt Moore May 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The page and your personal profile are totally different. When you switch over to use Facebook as the page, you stop being you. You are the page, which has fans that will see your posts. But your friends will not see it since it’s your personal profile that has friends… but when you use FB as the page you STOP using Facebook as your profile.

Think of it as making calls from your home/cell phone and work phone. You should up differently on caller ID and likely have different numbers pre-programmed into the two different phones. It’s still you, but how you are seen by others is different.

Something to remember is a page can have many admins. So if I or another page admin use FB as the page, regardless of which of us posts, it always appears like it came from the page — our personal profiles have nothing to do with it.

What I’d recommend is, using your profile, tell everyone to become a fan of your page. Post whatever you want to say to both your wall and the page’s wall for a while, but continue to encourage people to become a fan of your page. Once you think everyone has become a fan of the page, just keep posting there.

• 25 Scrapbook Stories December 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm

These are great remarks. It seems that starting a page may be more work going back and forth from personal profile to business page, but after a while your friends will know you as both entities. The telephone example really clarified it with me. Thanks for your explanations,…everyone on this topic.

10. 26 jhon May 30, 2011 at 7:22 am

hello

if i use face book as a page, what will happen to my friends which are already in my account, will they be converted to fans automatically???

• 27 Matt Moore May 30, 2011 at 7:41 am

No, your friends do not become fans. If you create a new page, you start from scratch.

Keep in mind, your page and your personal profile are two separate things. And several people can be admins of a page, and all of them can use Facebook as that page. Like being a bus driver: You drive your own car to work, then drive the bus. When your shift is done, someone else might drive that bus.

Remember, using Facebook as a page does not mean you change your profile to a page. It’s just that after the change you can surf around Facebook “Like”ng things and leaving comments that show up as coming from the page, not you. And when you are done, you switch back to using Facebook as your profile. The change is not permanent — it’s just a way of selecting who/what is the name attached to a comment or Like — you or the page.

• 28 jhon May 30, 2011 at 8:23 am

Thanks for your prompt response

i have 5000 friends and more then 3000 are waiting for approval, is there anyway to accept there request…

regards

11. 29 Matt Moore May 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

(For those of you who don’t know, FB limits profiles to 5000 friends. Pages are unlimited in the number of fans they can have.)

What I’d recommend is:

Use your profile to promote the page, encourage people to become a fan of the page and then unfriend you to clear up slots for friends.

As space clear up, accept those friends requests that are waiting, but keep posting about the page.

Also state that, starting now, you won’t accept friend request from people you don’t know.

And, if things are still bad, announce you will be unfriending people you don’t know.

But, through all of this, be clear about the situation (you’ve hit the 500o cap), gracious (thanks to all for the supprt) and enthusiastic (hope the page will work better).

12. 30 terumy June 6, 2011 at 5:40 am

I cannot seemingly use Facebook as my page because of missing “Switch” button. Could everyone help me fix this problem?

• 31 Matt Moore June 6, 2011 at 9:13 pm

It’s under the Account link in the top right.

It’s also just under the “Admins” list on the page at the top of the right column.

You need to be the Admin of a page for it to appear, though.

13. 33 lg June 8, 2011 at 2:30 am

I have the same problem! The switch button used to be there, now its disappeared.

• 34 Matt Moore June 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

Are you still the Admin of the page? Go to that page and you should see Admin options. If not, you are no longer an admin and therefore cannot use FB as that page.

14. 35 Jones June 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

Hi I also have the same problem “The case of the missing Switch button” happened this week. I am an Admin and all other Admins (4 others) can also no longer see the Switch button to our company page. Hoping it is not permanently lost, very frustrating. Any suggestions appreciated!

15. 36 Richard Latham June 16, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi Matt, thanks for all your help on this forum. I have the same problem as Terumy with not being able to see the switch button from the Use Facebook as a Page dialogue box. It was there yesterday morning, but now it is just not there for one of my pages which I am admin for. (It is there for another page I admin) I’ve seen some other recent posts on other forums about this, but noone seems to have an idea what’s this about. I hope this might be a temporary facebook update glitch, but after a couple of hours researching this, starting to be concerned as to what to do. Hope we can figure this out on your forum Matt.

16. 37 Matt Moore June 16, 2011 at 11:07 am

Sorry to hear about the disappearing option.

I have not had this problem and can’t offer a solution other than report the bug to Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=pages_bug

If anyone finds out what’s happened, please post it here.

• 38 Mindy April 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Okay… I was able to figure this out… While I was logged in as Me/Administrtor I put in my “page” URL into the browser under a new tab http://www.facebook.com/homewoodsuitesdallasmarketcenter Then it gave me my admin pannel, and I clicked on the “Manage” button. Then “Use FB as Page” from there. This is very odd, but that’s the only work-around I’ve been able to uncover. Hopefully our switch button will be working again very soon!!

17. 39 cris June 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

how come i don’t have that option under account?

18. 41 jill July 25, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hello, I’m having an issue that when I am using facebook as my page and I am sharing something on another pages wall, it doesn’t appear. I can see the post on the page but when I switch to my profile I can see that its not visible, and neither for other people. Other business pages have posted on my business page’s wall so I’m wondering why I can’t post on another page’s wall? Any help would be appreciated…

19. 42 Sally July 26, 2011 at 12:57 am

I’m having the same problem as Jill, Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

20. 44 Xtos July 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm

interesting and very helpful, Thanks 🙂

If i turned my Individual Profile into a page…and if i appeal to make it back to an individual profile….will i gain all my friends back? or will I start from scratch again?

• 45 Matt Moore July 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Converting your profile into a page is a different tool. I didn’t explore that option. (Though I think is it permanent.) This post is about using Facebook as a page you admin.

21. 46 Xtos July 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Gotcha, regardless, very useful info you have here…Thanks 🙂

22. 47 AmyLou August 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Is the page permanently linked to my personal profile? I am administering a page for an small volunteer organization. If I leave or decide not to administer the page anymore, I know that I can add new admins, but will the page still be tied to my profile?

23. 49 FA August 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

Hi Matt,
    I am using Facebook as a page to post on the walls of some fan pages that I have liked before. I do not see the posts if I switch back to my personal account or if I logout. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    F

24. 53 gracepmc August 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Am just considering/learning Facebook. I held back for a long time. Can I have a Facebook page without having a Facebook profile? Thanks,

25. 55 Lori August 18, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve been using Facebook as my company for quite awhile now and have been happy with the feature. But this morning one of the pages that I administer, I switch to use Facebook as and when I try to post something message that Not Logged In.

26. 56 dee August 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm

hi my friend has a business page on facebook but all of a sudden her page cant be viewed unless shes online, like i mean her page does not show up in search or even if you click on her page it doesnt show up can you please help my friend she has no idea what to do anymore

kind regards

DeeRose

• 57 Matt Moore August 28, 2011 at 8:48 am

I haven’t seen or heard of anything like that. Best bet is Facebook help. I’ve heard they’re not great or respond quickly, but I’m not sure what else to suggest.

• 58 Matt Moore August 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

One more thing. Make sure the “Page Visibility / Only admins can see this page” under Manage Permissions wasn’t accidentally clicked.

27. 59 croxuk August 21, 2011 at 10:04 am

When viewing “like” buttons presented on sites I would like to add to my business page I only appear to get the option to “like” under my personal profile.

I am logged into my personal facebook account, accessed ‘use facebook as page’ to ensure I am now using my business profile but any interaction with facebook icons/apps either appear under my personal profile or forbid me from doing so returning the message that I have to switch back to my personal profile to continue.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Alan

• 60 Matt Moore August 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

As I understand it, use Facebook as a Page literally means using Facebook.com. Anything that happens off Facebook.com is outside of Facebook’s control. Keep in mind, pages that you are an administrator for are a sub-set of your profile. You don’t have two profiles. That’s why when you Like a page off Facebook, it is recorded for your personal profile (provided you are logged in). All you can do is Like Facebook page on Facebook.com while using Facebook as a Page.

Does that make sense?

28. 61 Freddie August 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Hi there and thank you for all your tips on using FB as my page. I’m stuck on something though – if my page likes or comments on other pages, it seems to update all my fans news feeds with these small updates (ie not just updating on my wall but updating my fans all the time)! I’d like to connect more with other pages but I don’t want to annoy my fans with loads of updates. Can I turn off the updates to my fan’s feeds? So that only status updates are published to them? Or do I just need to interact less often with other pages? Appreciate your help with this!!!

• 62 Matt Moore August 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’ve not seen a way to not update your fans. It’s like your personal profile – your actions show up in others’ feeds. A way to think about it, though, is that by showing up in fans’ feeds you’re showing that you are active and engaged, maybe directing your fans to other worthwhile pages.

29. 63 DrewCutlip August 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I am having the same issue with a page I admin. Been able to switch between my profile and the page without issue up until recently. I have no “Use Facebook as Page” or ‘switch’ button visible anywhere, nor can I edit the page in any way. I am able to post from my Droid on the mobile FB app intermittently but that is it. Any fixes for this yet from the FB team?

30. 65 Kirk Thomson August 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I was recently made an administrator to a major recording artist personal page and two band pages. I also have my own personal page,as well as a busness page a recording studio page and a band profile and page, It gets exremely confusing. My problem I think stems from trying to post reviews and the like on the recording artist’s pages. I tried logging on too both my profile page and the artists at the same time. After doing this and logging off and logging back on to my personal page I see one of his band pages icon over on the left under PAGES on my personal page as my page. Hope this makes sense. Now it appears that I own one of his band pages. This is also cause problems posting. I noticed that they posted a link from their twitter account to their page and it linked out to my personal page. how do I get his page off of mine?

31. 66 Kirk Thomson August 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I really need to figure this problem out. In short I think my page and the artist’s page have become owned by me somehow,because one of his band pages shows up on mine as mine. It is even in the use facebook as page list along with all of mine.

• 67 Matt Moore August 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

One thing is that you don’t own a page, but are an admin. Another admin may have made you an admin of the page in question.

Also, it can be confusing based on what page you are on, but in the left you see what pages you admin when you click “Home”, but when you are on the Page the left side shows pages you Like.

Also, if you have two Facebook profiles (not pages, but can log in using two email addresses), you are not supposed to. That violates Facebook’s Terms of Use.

Nevertheless, if that is the case I would suggest is using two browsers — Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE — and use one for your personal profile and one for the band profile and never mix them. Even though you are logged out, there could still be cookies or caching issues.

So, log in to one profile with one browser, the other profile with the other browser and try to figure it out. It’s easy to remove yourself as an Admin (Manage Admin > Remove). Just don’t remove yourself if you are the only administrator.

In short, it sounds like somewhere along the way something got clicked that shouldn’t have. Try remove permissions one at a time, keeping track of what you’ve done, until you solve the problem. Then add back what you removed.

32. 68 Lori August 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Well after e-mailing facebook, my issue with the login is gone but now I can actually type a status as a page but when I try to “share” it, I get a “sorry we got confused” Please refresh your browser message. Still only happens on one of the pages that I administer the others are fine and I can still post as the page on the other pages.

• 69 Matt Moore August 28, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thanks for the update.

Have you emailed them back about this issue? Sounds like this is something people need to raise a hue and cry about in order to get it fixed.

• 70 Abby September 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am having the same issue with the “Sorry, we got confused” message – it appears whenever I try to use Facebook as a page for anything. I can’t even go to my photo album without it getting stuck. Has anyone heard anything from Facebook on this?

33. 71 aaron September 3, 2011 at 1:29 am

hi matt,
    how can i remove likes on my page,with the new privacy settings in place? there is also no unlike button on the page i want to remo e
    thanks

34. 73 stu September 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hi Matt,
    I’m the admin for our page and are on the road quite a bit and although it’s easy to update our page on the road VIA mobile Facebook app or friendcaster app Ican’t find a way to write on peoples wall using my use Facebook as page. Any ideas on how this is done or what app to use. I have android phone

• 74 Matt Moore September 13, 2011 at 5:32 am

STU: Wish I could help you out but I am not up on the different mobile apps. (I have unusually large fingers and can’t find a mobile device that I can type on.)

Can anyone else help out Stu?

35. 75 Kenya September 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I want to delete my facebook personal profile page and keep my fan-page. My personal page has the email address associated with it instead of my fan page so everytime I tweet it goes to my personal page and doesn’t get imported to the fan-page. If I log out and search for the fan page, I find the personal profile, not the fan page. How can I direct traffic to the fanpage and NOT to my profile?

Please help. thanks!

• 76 Matt Moore September 19, 2011 at 6:56 am

You cannot delete your personal account on Facebook and keep a fan page. You need the account to admin the page. What you can do, though, is set your account’s privacy settings very high so that virtually nothing is visible.

Or, create a different Business Account (which I mention above) to admin the page, then delete your original account.

As for searching, is your page published? This can sometimes be a step admins forget to do.

As for tweeting, you don’t mention which app you are using, but there are tons out there. Try Selective Tweets.

36. 77 AlanH September 25, 2011 at 3:44 am

With all the recent FB changes, does “Use Facebook as Page” still function the same? I’d like all my posts to come from my Page identity not my personal identity. But I find FB to be like a lobster trap, meaning I seem not to be able to reverse my actions. So what actually happens when I click that link? And can I easily reverse my actions?

• 78 Matt Moore September 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

As far as I have seen, this feature has not changed.

And aside from using Facebook as a page, for your own page you can click the “Edit Page” button (top right), then click the “Your Settings” link at the top of the left column and make sure the “Posting Preferences” box is checked, which means any posts to your page show up as coming from the page, not your personal profile.

To reverse your actions, you’d need to delete any posts you make by clicking the delete “X” in the top right corner of the post.

37. 79 robin October 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Matt,

I admin several pages, one of which belongs ot my business. Today I tried commenting on another business page as my “Page” but when the comment posted is showed my name as the author rather than the business page name. I tried twice just to be sure I was “using facebook as a page” and I appeared to be. Any insight?

• 80 Matt Moore October 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm

When you go to change, are you clicking the “Switch” button? At times, I clicked the link of the page instead, which takes you to the page but does not change you to use as the page.

38. 81 adrienne October 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Matt,
    I went to my facebook account and the “use facebook as page” setting is gone from my account. I have a business fanpage and cannot log into it at all… please help
    Adrienne

39. 83 Debby October 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hi, I cannot switch back to my personal facebook profile?? When I click switch profile, nothing happens???
    Can you help me??

40. 85 Theresa B October 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I have set up a page and need to know…when I update it…does it show up on my personal page. Kind of wanting to keep them seperate

41. 87 Franco October 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hi Matt!
    First of all thanks for the article. But I’m not sure about sentences:
    “Using Facebook as a page allows you to interact with other pages as your page. You can leave a comment or like an item on behalf of your page.”

I’m quite new to Facebook. And tried to post comments as Page on other pages. But nobody ever answer to me. Just today I’ve open such pages in other browser (without Facebook login) and I can’t see my comment made as Page! I can see such comment only when I use FB as admin or as Page.
    Any thoughts?

• 88 Matt Moore October 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

There are ways to “hide” posts on a Wall, moving them to a different Wall only an Admin can see. And sometimes Facebook will auto-select a post as spam and move it to the hidden section. Think of it like a spam folder. I am not sure of the rhyme or reason for the logic that moves things to the Hidden folder, but it happens.

And, when you log in as yourself, a post you made that was hidden by the admin or FB will show up. That is, you have no way to know if your post ended up being hidden when you view the page.

So far, I don’t think they are doing a good job in alerting admins about hidden posts. I have discovered hidden posts on walls I admin from weeks earlier.

So, likely, your posts are on the Hidden section of a wall.

42. 90 Dave October 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm

When on my page where I am an administrator and using a mobile, how to I make a comment on that page as myself? it will only allow me to make a comment as the page name. On the pc I can just switch back and forth ( after changing settings). to be myself or page, but no facility appears to be available for mobile phones!

(resubmitted email spelt wrong)

• 91 Matt Moore October 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Wish I could help, but I have not used the mobile phone app. I’m a bit behind the times on mobile since I can’t find a device I can tap on with my big fingers.

43. 92 WhoWantsCoach October 24, 2011 at 2:08 am

Giving it a try Matt, Thanks for excellent tip and follow up my friend. Seems like we can not depend much on older Facebook information we find on the web because the FB beast is always changing ha.

Dave

44. 93 bec October 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

hey, wonder if you can help me….
    I can switch from my profile to my page, via ‘use facebook as page’ but can only write on my pages wall, nothing else, can’t navigate facebook at all as my page, i am the only admin…. I would like to promote my page as my page not my profile…
    Seems a bit pointless to have the feature if you can’t actually do anything with it!!!
    please help…….
    bec

• 94 Matt Moore October 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Using Facebook as a Page, you can only interact with other Pages and Events. Even then, there might be limits (been a while since I fooled around with this feature).

45. 95 Stephanie October 25, 2011 at 1:54 am

I am having the same issue as Bec. When using FB as a page, I cant seem to do anything. I tried searching for pages and it takes forever.. if one comes up and I click on it it just sits there with the little cursor telling me its trying to go to the page, but nothing ever happens. I have tried to do ANYTHING while using my page and it seems I can’t do anything really. Is there some kind of issue going on? Just wondering since Bec had the same problem

46. 98 Marcus Howard November 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

You just answered my question, but in the negative, but thanks for clearing it up for me. Every time I want to do something with the FB page at work(which is part of my job) I can never do anything. They want us to use pages so bad, but pages suck, we are so limited and have barely any interaction with our fans. I’m really starting to think we should just stop with FB and take our ad money elsewhere.

47. 99 Lisa November 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Hi Matt, found you during my contining search to find an answer to a Facebook page problem.

I am the creator and sole administrator of a Page I created but now have no access to. Until recently I used to toggle back and forth between my personal wall and my page wall using the “use Facebook as” option. That option has mysteriously disappeared including any apparent way to access the Page as “adminstrator” to update to page. Also, all insights associated with my page are no longer visible to me.

I’ve tried to contact FB to no avail and I’ve also posted and monitored the FB Known Issues page. I’ve spotted a few others with similar issues but no answer to my specific problem.

It seems I’ve been removed as administrator since there is not even a record in my personal profile that I even administor a Page. I did not delete myself as administrator and I’ve never assigned any other administrators so I have no idea how my access was lost. Any thoughts, suggestions on restoring my access as admin?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• 100 Matt Moore November 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Lisa – “That sucks” does not even come close to expressing my feelings about your situation. Fortunately for me but unfortunately for you, I have not had this happen to me, so not sure about a solution.

One thing to consider is an FB page cannot exist without an administrator. So someone (or something), somewhere is the admin.

A few things to consider:

• An oldy but a goody. Open a new browser window, logout of everything, clear your cache, browsing history, etc. Then reboot and see what happens. It might be a pain in the ass later on (since you are logged out of everything), but it’s a good way to clear out any bad cookies you might have picked up.
      • Or, if you use Chrome or Opera, open a new Private or Incognito window and log into Facebook and see what happens.
      • If you set up your page to email you whenever someone posted, try making a post yourself (or ask a friend to post) and see if you get the email. That will let you know if you are still counted as an admin even if you can’t edit the page.
      • You might also consider using the Report Page function. Classify it as “Spam or Scam” or click the “Is this your intellectual property?” link to file a complaint. These are not directly on target, but might get someone’s attention that can help you.

Wish I could do more to help out. If you find a solution, please post it here. Good luck with this!

48. 101 TW November 7, 2011 at 7:50 am

The use-fb-as-a-page system has SUDDENLY gotten very buggy (+ scary). Does not behave logically or reliably. Seems suddenly UNSTABLE. I’ll switch to use fb “AS” (say) page-B. The fb will act as if I had not switched, but WILL show that I am indeed switched to be “as” page-B. Gets very confusing, random, and non-sensical. BUGGY!

I hope it’s not about to break altogeher!

• 102 Matt Moore November 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks for the updates, TW. I don’t use this feature that frequently, so have no encountered these problems. Sorry to hear about your problems, but hopefully his can be a caution to FB page admins to have a back-up admin and have a redundancy plan to prepare for problems.

49. 103 B. Brown November 29, 2011 at 11:44 am

I notice that now the option to “switch back to..” your self from your page has been replaced by simply the option to “log out” and you have to then log back into Facebook! I didn’t think they could make switching between accounts more of a chore, but they did.

• 104 Matt Moore November 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

You don’t have to. Click on the downward arrow in the top right. You’ll see your photo and name, but below your name (in tiny letters) is the “switch back to…” option. Not intuitive, but saves you from having to log back in.

50. 105 Elizabeth Pavlica December 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hi Matt – I’ve been looking everywhere but haven’t found an answer to my question. If I “Use Facebook as Page” and post on another page (one I don’t admin), can I see the insights for my post on that page?

Thank you for your all your help!
    Elizabeth

51. 107 Jackie December 14, 2011 at 2:36 am

Hi 😉 i was wondering if you could help with my problem. I just created a FB page ( not a personal page). I noticed that I cant “like” ANY pages. The pages have the “like” button. But for some reason I cant “Like” ANY page. and its not because of any age limit restriction. I tried going to setting and once you go to Edit Profile then clicked on “featured” and this is what is says about likes..”You currently have no likes. Give people more ways to connect with you by showing them your likes and interests. You can do this by choosing Use Facebook As Page under Account, and then liking other pages that relate to your page. These liked pages are shown on the left of your page, and you can specify which of these always rotate there by selecting them as featured.”………I am the admin.How can I “Choose Use Facebook as Page” under Accounts if its the only “page” under my account. Ive tried looking for the Account settings on the top right corner but all i see on the top right corner is “Setting” and Logout. Help Please

• 108 Matt Moore December 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm

You might understanding what Use Facebook as Page means. It means the page you are the admin for. Click the arrow at the top right, select the page you want to use Facebook as (it has to be a page you are an admin of) and then find another page you want your page to like. Just click its Like button and there you go.

52. 109 Marlene Wilkinson January 26, 2012 at 4:36 am

Thanks, this has all been very helpful, and hopefully will help me to avoid pitfalls as I start out as an administrator (one of three) for an organisation’s page – or help me to know what to do if there are problems.

Congratulations on your marvellous patience!

53. 111 Jason Hayes January 31, 2012 at 11:21 pm

please confirm, we can not see news feed when using as page from iphone?? not from app, mobile site or desktop site…

Works fine on PC but if you touch “home” when using as Page an an iphone, no matter what… you can not get news feed…??? i kicks me to my profile news feed

enjoyed your blog,
    thanks
    J

54. 113 Kim February 10, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hi Matt….just started new business page….at the top right corner I only have settings and logout, I do not see “Use Facebook As Page under Account ” what do I need to do to get it….I am the admin for the page.

• 114 Matt Moore February 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

First, double check you are the admin. When you go to the page and post, does it show up as the page, not you?

Also, there is another way to do it. When you go to the page, in the right column you should see “Admins” in bold, below that should be your profile picture. Below your picture will be a link “Use Facebook as” and then the name of your page. (Below that link will be “Notifications”, “Promote with an Ad” and a few more.

55. 115 mathei February 12, 2012 at 8:24 am

Matt, i need your help.
    I have a Personal Blog FB page.
    I cannot switch to it with my main profile, because is not listed in the “Use facebook as..” list.
    What sould i do? The page is still active, the feed from my blog still work, likes i still get on it.

• 116 Matt Moore February 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

56. 117 oxymoron91 February 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

hi, very helpful info. When I choose the ‘use facebook as’ option my business does not have the message icon that shows top left of the page, so I am unable to message or chat with anyone as my business page and neither can anyone private message me. What have I done wrong and how can this be rectified?

• 118 Matt Moore February 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Use FB as a Page is limited in what it can do. It’s not like browsing the site as you profile. So, something like Chat is disabled. In fact, all you can really do is (1) Like and comment on other pages and (2) create Events (and even that is limited). You can also Share items that are public.

A lot of this comes from the Facebook idea of people-talking-to-people. You can create a business “face” for some interactions, but not all of them.

• 119 oxymoron91 February 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thanks much. But still a bit uneasy about the fact that people are not able to send private messages to my business page because the private message icon is not present, it’s just weird. Already contacted Facebook about it and they had no solution for me. I scoured their help pages but it seems my situation is unique.

Regards.

• 120 Matt Moore February 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Guess it’s just the nature of the beast. Mark Z wants messaging from people to people.

But, if you find a solution, let us know.

• 121 Matt Moore March 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

UPDATE: Looks like the new Timeline for Pages *will* allow private messages just like personal profiles. Still looking into this.

• 122 oxymoron91 March 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

thanks Matt. I am kind of getting that impression too. If that is so then wonderful. Just haven’t switched across yet can’t stand the jumbled structure.

• 123 Matt Moore March 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm

On March 30, they’re going to force you over. Maybe start playing with it now to get used to it.

And hey, in about 9 months or so they’ll change it again!

• 124 oxymoron91 March 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

thanks I’ll do that.

57. 125 Christine February 17, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hello Matt,

Seems your quite knowledgeable about all this Facebook Page stuff. Perhaps you could help me with something. I created a page on Facebook. Uploaded a profile pics, posted a single note, and was sent back to my personal page. Now I can’t find anyway to “Use Facebook as”. I am admin on two other pages that show up when I click the little arrow by my name, but not the one I just created. I tried posting to the page and posted as myself, but I did create the page and I am listed as the only admin for it. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

• 126 Matt Moore February 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Wish I had something concrete to tell you, but reading through these comments others have had the same problem.

When you go to the page in question, in the right column do you see “Admins” in bold? Below that should be your profile picture. Below your picture will be a link “Use Facebook as” and then the name of your page. (Below that link will be “Notifications”, “Promote with an Ad” and a few more.) If not, you are not a page admin. If so, can you click the “Use Facebook as” link?

Or, does the admin section show up, just without the option to use Facebook as that page.

If you can’t resolve the issue, contact Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=pages_bug

Good luck and let us know what happens.

• 127 Christine February 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your time and input. I have not been able to resolve the issue and my emails to Facebook have not yet gotten a response. I created the page and I am the only admin. I’ve noticed that the link to the page randomly shows up in my pages list (on the left side of my page) and when it does I have no problem using the page as the page. I have noticed that the link tends to be available when I have been talking about the page. I sent out numerous email invitation with a link to the page. After I sent each message and was still looking at the messages page, this is when using Facebook as my page was available. The option also becomes available when someone on my friends list accepts the invite. I don’t know why this happens but I did find an option on the page that has made things easier. I had to find a way to use Facebook as my page to set it up, I clicked the edit page button in the top left corner and in the “Your Settings” tab on that page there was an option that allows me to post to my page as my page, even if I’m using Facebook as myself. Hope that helps at least one other person. Other than that though I don’t have much information. Thanks again for your help.

• 128 Matt Moore February 26, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Christine: Thanks for posting the details of how you’ve been able to get this to work. It seems to be a pretty deep bug in Facebook, so any ways around it are greatly appreciated. Best of luck and please let us know if you find out anything else since I am sure many others are having the same problem.

58. 129 Amirreza Habibi March 3, 2012 at 1:45 am

PEACE. how do I control which of my pages appears in the drop down menu. There are only 5 there but I want to “use facebook as” for a page not in the drop-down. Thanks

• 130 Matt Moore March 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I don’t think you can. From what I have observed, these are determined by how often you use them and/or how active those pages are. But, you can go to one of your pages to use it.

In the old pages layout, in the right column you should see “Admins” in bold. Below that should be your profile picture. Below your picture will be a link “Use Facebook as” and then the name of your page. (Below that link will be “Notifications”, “Promote with an Ad” and a few more.)

If you are using Timeline, click the “Admin Panel” button in the top right. There will be a “Manage” drop down button. The last option on the drop down menu is to use Facebook as that page.

59. 131 graham March 20, 2012 at 5:06 am

Hi Matt
    Im an admin of more than five FB pages. But the “Use Facebook as” admin dropdown feature only allows access to the first five in alphabetical order. This seems ridiculous, as I can find no way easy to admin for the pages not in the first five.

• 132 Matt Moore March 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

I agree with you here. It would be easier to have a longer list, but if it were longer it would cover up those nice profitable ads, now wouldn’t it?

You can go to https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/pages to see a list of the pages you admin.

From there, you can use Facebook as the page. There are instructions on how to do that a little higher up in the comments for old style pages. For Timeline, it’s the last option in the “Manage” dropdown menu.

60. 133 Mai April 22, 2012 at 5:32 am

Hi Mr. Moore,

Great article!
    I actually have a few questions that I hope you (or someone) can help me with. I have a personal FB profile (account) and I about to make a Business Page for the company I work for. Now I DO NOT want my personal profile to be linked with the Business page (in that I mean that people will be able to see my personal profile contents). I know it is illegal to create two accounts under FB “law”. We of course have a company name and email address. If I were to log into my personal profile and then click on the “create a page” section and build the company FB page would that mean that anyone who “likes” the page will be able to see my personal profile? If I created the business FB page using the company name, email address, and creating a password (login) would that be considered as having “two accounts”? Also If I create the page under my personal profile and then leave the company would that mean that the page would “disappear” even if I have appointed other admins? (Right now I would be the only person in charge of the business FB page)…but I will add amins later on or at least if/before I leave the company. But I do not want the page to disappear just because I leave the company. (I am not sure if this will happen because I am the one who created the page). Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

• 134 Matt Moore April 22, 2012 at 9:47 am

These are all good questions.

First, there is no visible connection between your personal profile and a page your administer. While there is something called “Featured Page Owners” which allows administrators to highlight their personal profiles, you have to intentionally set it up. If you haven’t done that, then no worries.

Next, as for the two accounts questions, you can set up a new profile as Business Account: https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=167124440013852. However, Facebook does say that each profile/account should belong to one individual (not organization), but I am sure there are a lot of companies that have a business account that uses a generic email address.

Finally, if a page has other admins, it won’t disappear if you remove yourself as an admin. On Facebook, all admins are equal regardless of who first created the page. That is, there are no “superadmin”s.

Hope this helps you figure out a way forward.

61. 135 Mai April 23, 2012 at 2:51 am

Hi Mr. Moore,

Thank you very much!!! 🙂 This was very helpfull. Just wanted to double check that my personal life and info does not get posted my business page (no need for customers or business partners to have a view into my pesonal life or that of my friends and family). Also good to know that the page would not dissapear.

Thanks again! 🙂

• 136 Matt Moore April 23, 2012 at 8:06 am

Mai: Rest assured, your personal info does not get posted to a business page unless you go out of your way to make it happen. (There are pages I admin that I don’t want to be associated with me, so I have looked into this feature.)

Just make sure when you create the page, go to the Manage drop down menu and select “Edit Page.” On the “Your Settings” page, make sure the check box is selected for “Always comment and post on your page as [PAGE NAME], even when using Facebook as [YOUR NAME]”

• 137 Una May 23, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Mr Moore

The last couple of posts have helped me a little in sorting out a Facebook presence for a non-profit organisation, of which I am a member. I set up a new email address and gave the organisation a name. I then went on to create an organisation page.

I created a whole new facebook profile for the organisation. I uploaded photos and thought all was well. However, I cannot find the page when I use a search engine. I can login and edit the profile but it seems I am the only person in the world who sees it!

I have my own personal Facebook profile and the organisation one is not linked to it in any way. Have you any idea what I have done wrong to make my new organisation page invisible? All settings are to Public. Is it not possible to set up an organisation page as an independent entity? What should I do to make the page visible on the web?

Úna

• 138 Matt Moore May 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi Úna-

First, is this a page or a profile? A profile is what you access when you log into Facebook. A page is something you create, like a group or event.

An easy way to check is if you see http://www.facebook.com/pages/%5BSOMETHING%5D when you go to the page. Also, go to https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/pages and make sure the page you created is there.

Next, on the page, click the “Edit Page” button in the top and on the Manage Permissions page, make sure “Page Visibility” is NOT checked. Otherwise, no one can see it.

What you can also do is email the URL of the page to someone who is on Facebook and see if they can see it. It could just be that the search engine on Facebook has not yet picked it up.

Try these first few steps and let me know how it goes.

62. 139 Úna Kilgarriff May 31, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Dear Matt

Thank you very much for your reply to my query. I’m afraid I have been too long coming back to check for a reply and only an hour ago I deleted the profile and so cannot carry out your tests.

However, I will try to explain. I had set up a completely new Profile on facebook which I thought could represent the particular organisation.. I did not link it to my own profile in any way.. I could see all the photos etc that I had uploaded but only when I was also logged into my own profile. It could be found from the Facebook search box. I could also log into it independently of my own profile.

Today I started again. I have created a Page from within my own profile for the organisation. It has the address below when I look at it.

However, if I log out of my own profile, when I search Google for Amicizia Italian Society Sligo all I get are articles in the local paper about our Society.

Is it possible that if I had waited longer with my original Page that Google might eventually have found it? Should anybody be able to find this even if they are not on Facebook?

There was one thing bothering me about my original attempt. I seemed to require an address and when I put in a valid address it kept telling me that the address was not valid.

I promise to check for reply immediately and before I do anything else with this.

Úna

• 140 Matt Moore June 1, 2012 at 6:57 am

OK, this is a page.

Yes, a little while longer and Google may have found it. What would else help is links to this page. What Google does (well, one of many things) when deciding the rank of results is how many other webpages link to that page. So, if you have a website or blog, start linking to that page.

As for the issue with the address, try https://www.facebook.com/help

63. 141 Úna Kilgarriff June 1, 2012 at 6:14 am

Why is my story abov still awaiting moderation?

• 142 Matt Moore June 1, 2012 at 7:00 am

Still awaiting moderation? I have to say, I am a bit taken aback. You submitted your last reply @ 11:30 (my time) and I was asleep. It’s now 7 in the morning and I should be getting ready for work, but took the time to reply to that post. And this after you saying that you didn’t come back to check for a reply for a whole.

Understand, I do this as a hobby and to help the community that’s out there as others have helped me. But if I am not replying fast enough for your taste, I suggest you go elsewhere to find help.

• 143 Úna Kilgarriff June 1, 2012 at 7:19 am

Dear Matt

I am really sorry if I offended you on the moderation issue but I thought it might be some software that was in action,,checking the validity of the query and its sender, and that this was some kind of bug, Your blog is wonderful and I really appreciate your efforts to help the community out here.

Please accept my apology as it is sincerely meant and I really thought it was a software problem.

I hope we can continue to communicate on this blog and I would be very grateful for any further help you can give me.

Úna

64. 144 Una Kilgarriff June 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Dear Matt

Thanks for posting my apology and I hope that it has been accepted by you. I still have not solved my problems. I have been spending hours on creating the page, which is still not visible in any Google search, but I am not sure whether I can aks you any further questions.

Sincerely

Úna

• 145 Matt Moore June 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Hi Úna. Apology accepted.

As for being found on Google, don’t hold your breath. Google finding stuff in Facebook doesn’t always work. Heck, I’ve had trouble finding stuff in Facebook using the Facebook search engine. Best bet is to have as many links to the Facebook page as you can from pages not on Facebook. Blogs, Twitter, websites, whatever you can.

• 146 Úna Kilgarriff June 6, 2012 at 5:14 am

Dear Matt

Thank you so much. I will just try to be patient regarding Google. I do not use Twitter but will see what I can do regarding the page’s exposure. The page is simply a presence on the web for our Italian society, where members can see photos of events we organise and trips we make to Italy for language and cultural reasons..

We are just a group of Irish ‘Italy’ enthusiasts. Many of our older members would not have Facebook accounts, which is why I am trying to make this a public space. I know the alternative is a website, but we are hardly big enough (about 40 members) to warrant that kind of expense. I volunteered to set up this page!

Since I last wrote to you I set up a new page in the name of ‘Amicizia Italian Society Sligo’ (a new profile). Firstly, I deleted the page that was connected with my own profile of the same name as I was not happy that my profile should be permanently connected with Amicizia’s. I am really going about this the hard way as I have now set up and uploaded all the stuff 3 times! Ah well, I am retired so have time but I hope that eventually this attempt will be successful. I did not encounter any difficulties in creating the profile as I had deleted the other page.

There is one question I would like to ask. I see I can give the page a name, but it tells me I can only do this once. Do you think I should name it? I am nervous as it seems so final. If yes, should the name be as short as possible or should I try to use all the words in the name of the page?

I hope you have a nice day. I am writing from a damp, and not too warm, west of Ireland.

Thanks again

Úna

PS If you manage to find my new page on Facebook you might be kind enough to ‘Like’ it! It might help. It is here

• 147 Matt Moore June 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi Úna – The connection between your profile and the page is invisible. No one will see it if you don’t want them to. And, you can add others who will be able to administer the page if you don’t want to the the only one responsible for it.

As for exposure, Facebook is good but, as you are finding, Google may not be your friend. You could use WordPress or Tumblr, which are also free, to set something up. It would not allow the same level of social interaction as Facebook, but are less aggravating. Since you say most members are not on Facebook, look into Tumblr. Google should be able to find it easier than a page on Facebook.

As for naming the page, I think you have to. As to what you should name it, don’t worry about length. Name it whatever it needs to be. Too short risks confusion, so I’d say be specific, but don’t go so overboard it’s confusing.

Best of luck to you.

• 148 Úna Kilgarriff June 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Matt

Thanks for your reply. I have just named the page and kept it short! I had a lovely surprise this afternoon. Somebody from your blog had seen the web address I posted for you, and sent a message to my page. I was delighted that somebody had found it other than myself!

I will get back to you and let you know how the page progresses, and of any discoveries I might make regarding how to get it ‘googled’. Don’t hold your breath. I might be out of circulation for a while but will certainly be back.

Many thanks

Ciao

Úna

• 149 Matt Moore June 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hey, glad someone found your page! And having the links here in the comments section might just be the “rabbit hole” Google needs to find your page.

Best of luck Úna!

65. 150 Toni June 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Dear Matt

I’m not sure if you can help. I’m going mad!
    I’ve created a profile on FB and immediately converted it to a page. I then activated subscriptions, but nothing shows up in my timeline. I’ve tried logging out and viewing it, and also logging in as a different user, but no luck.

I don’t see the “Add friend” “Message” or “Subscribe” button on my timeline. (http://awesomescreenshot.com/0467ecl2a)

I’ve tested with another profile, and on the PROFILE timeline, I can see the familiar buttons. But if I create a page as that profile, and activate subscriptions for the page, the same thing happens.

I thought it might be because I no longer have a profile – because it was converted to a page. So that’s why I tested creating a page with another profile.

This is the page: http://www.facebook.com/tnt.designs.za

If you can help, I’d really appreciate it!
    Toni

• 151 Matt Moore June 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi Toni – I am not sure I understand your question, but it is a terminology thing. So for me, a “profile” is like a user — a username and password to log you into Facebook. One needs a profile to log in, and one must be logged in with their profile to administer a page.

“I’ve created a profile on FB and immediately converted it to a page.” While profiles can become pages, did you use this tool: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate

“I then activated subscriptions, but nothing shows up in my timeline.” – Activating subscriptions can only be done for profiles, not pages. And what this means is other people can subscribe to your updates without being your Friend. So not sure what you mean when you saying nothing showed up in your timeline. Do you mean you subscribed to other profiles, but their updates did not show up in your profile’s timeline? Because a page cannot subscribe to a user.

“I don’t see the “Add friend” “Message” or “Subscribe” button on my timeline.” These would not be on a page’s timeline. For your profile, you would not see them on your profile page if you are logged in with that profile.

I hope some of this sheds some light on what you’re going through. http://www.facebook.com/tnt.designs.za is definitely a page, not a profile, if that helps.

Please if I didn’t answer your questions.

• 152 Toni June 7, 2012 at 3:36 am

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply – you have cleared up a few issues for me – now I understand that a page cannot have subscriptions.

I did use the migrate tool you mentioned – HUGE issues getting that to work – repeated a million times and it eventually worked (the issue was not accepting that I AM on a recognized device! – many others have reported this).

As I understand it, converting a profile to a page means you lose your profile. I cannot get back to my profile page, because it doesn’t exist! The new page gobbled up my username (as expected), now I can only “use facebook as” my page, not as my profile. (http://awesomescreenshot.com/0cf7g6cb9)

Under settings I can activate subscriptions (http://awesomescreenshot.com/0da7g66ea), but I can’t see my profile “home” at all.

For me the whole point of creating a FB page for my business was to avoid having to have anything to do with personal profile stuff – the friending and poking and all the things that have kept me away from FB all these years!

It seems like I have got it wrong! Perhaps you can enlighten me? Sorry if this all seems a bit obvious to you experts.

Toni

• 153 Matt Moore June 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

OK, now I see where what’s happening.

Yes, using the profile -> page tool is a wonky pain in the butt. However, your login credentials do remain, but all you can do is manage the page as well as Facebook ads. Looking into an old profile I turned into a page, it looks like the Subscribers option remains in your profile’s settings… even though you can’t post as your profile anymore! Chalk one up to not making sense.

Now, as for page vs. profile, no one knows who administers a page unless that administrator wants people to know. I admin a number of pages, but no one know I am the admin except other admins.

So having your page and using a profile to administer it is definitely the way to go. What you can do is create a new Facebook profile and make that new profile an administrator of your page. Then, under the Edit Page button, selected “Manage Info” and go to the “Your Settings” link (top left). Make sure “Always comment and post on your page as [PAGE NAME], even when using Facebook as [YOUR NAME].” is selected. Then go to the “Featured” link and make sure there is nothing under “Page Owners.”

That way, no one will be able to poke your page or buy it a zombie drink from the mafia or any of that stuff.

Let me know if this helps.

• 154 Toni June 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Matt, that does help. I have another profile already, and had made it an admin of the page. That’s how I discovered that I could have subscriptions as a profile.

There are still two things bugging me –
        1. I will need an active profile if I want to get subscriptions to my page, which implies that I will have to get people to know me and subscribe. The plus side is that they don’t have to become my friends – the downside is that I have to promote my profile AND my page, which was what I was trying to avoid. I was trying to keep my personality/name invisible.

2. I still don’t understand why I cannot access any of the original profiles’ settings. When I comment on someone’s blog as my FB page, I’m shown as the original profile name (not the page, even though I’m using FB as the page) – which is a rubbishname and I can’t get int to change it! I’m also listed as 27 years old, because that’s the founding date of my company.

Am I still missing something vital?
        Thanks again,
        Toni

• 155 Matt Moore June 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

1. People will Like your page, not subscribe. Even though that Subscription option is still listed in your profile that you use to log in, it has no relation to your page. (At least, I don’t think it would. I have not had that happen, so can’t really speak to it.) But what you can do it promote the page on Twitter, a blog, what have you.

For example, look over at the top of the right column—that links to my Facebook page, not my personal profile. I am not interested in friending people I don’t know. I have accepted friend requests from strangers, but keep my privacy settings very high and only share publicly what I would put on Twitter or this blog. But my page is open to all where I will talk about fiction, social media, pop culture, whatever.

So, to promote the page, put links to it wherever you can.

And use Facebook as that page and begin to interact with other pages on Facebook. You can only interact with Pages and Events, though. A page can’t comment on a profile or group. At least, not the last time I checked. Still, it might be enough to get the ball rolling, raise awareness and attract more Likes.

2. Most of the profile’s settings were deleted when it got converted to a page. And if you are commenting on a blog that allows Facebook login, it is your profile that will show up. You always log into Facebook with a profile, even if it is just for administering one page. Use Facebook as a page only applies to Facebook.com.

As for the age, my guess is that is what happened when the profile got rolled over to a page.

And yes, this situation is a major pain in the ass. Facebook wanted to roll something out to expand how pages function, but there are so many exceptions and complications it is really making life difficult for a lot of people, so I sympathize. (Look at all the comments on this post!)

Hope this helps.

Hit me back if I still haven’t solved your issue.

• 156 Toni June 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks so much Matt. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken to help me. I feel much clearer now – frustrated, but clear. If only the FB team were so generous!

I would rate Facebook as the most unfriendly, dull, badly designed interface I’ve come in contact with in social media. It is a miracle that so many have embraced it.

For the record, MailChimp is my number one, followed by Twitter and Squidoo.

Warm wishes,
        Toni

66. 157 Gabrielle June 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hi Matt, I recently am the admin of a page. One day, I noticed that when I posted on other pages with my own page, it posted as my personal account. I went to check in the “Use Facebook as” option, but my page did not appear. The only things that appeared were my two other pages I owned (and not the page I’m talking about.) I know this question looks like every other questions asked in here, but the answers you told them didn’t work to me (to go on your page’s profile and that your name should be under “Admin” in bold, etc.) because I have the timeline as my page’s profile. Thanks you very much for your help.

Comments are currently closed.

Upcoming Appearances